Keep up to date with the latest news and stories within the personalised number plate world.

How to Transfer a Private Number Plate01-Jul-2014

You may have found the perfect private number plate for your car, but how do you go about transferring it from one vehicle to another if it’s already registered to someone else? How about if you want to sell your number plate but aren’t sure how to pass it on to the next owner? What are the legal requirements you need to fulfil? What issues do you need to be aware of? Here are just a few tips to help you when you need to transfer a personalised number plate.

Things to consider

  • When transferring your plate, you’ll need to know if it will be done instantly or if there will be a period in between transfers where you will need to retain the plate.
  • If you decide you do need to retain it, you will need to get a V778 Retention Certificate. This can be obtained for one, two, or three year periods depending on how much time you’ll need in between transfers.

Rules to be aware of

As with buying any private number plate, when transferring a plate between vehicles, you need to make sure you check with the DVLA and follow these two basic rules:

  • If the vehicle originally displayed a ‘Q’ plate, you can’t put a new number plate onto it. (This generally only happens with kit cars and some imported cars that are issued a Q plate because the date of first registration cannot be established).
  • You can’t make the car look newer than it is, so adding a brand new dated private number plate to an old vehicle won’t work.

Which form do you need to use?

  • To transfer your private registration to another car, you will need to fill in form V317.
  • If you are not retaining the registration and are transferring it to another car straight away, both registered keepers will have to fill in the V317 form and send it in to a DVLA office.

Which documents do you need to include with the form?

Along with the V317 form, you will need to ensure you have the following documents and payments ready to transfer the registration:

  • A valid MOT certificate.
  • A payment of £80. This includes an assignment fee for applying the registration to the chosen vehicle and a transfer fee for the whole process.
  • The registration certificate or new keeper supplement.
  • ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate’ (V62 form).
  • ‘Application for a Tax Disc’ (V10 form), if either vehicle needs taxing, plus the insurance certificate and vehicle tax payment.
  • Photocopies, print outs or faxed copies of supporting documents are not allowed. They must all be originals.

For more information on transferring registrations – and anything to do with personalised number plates – an online specialist such as Plate Hunter can help. As well as having the know-how when it comes to private plates, they also offer a range of number plates from cherished plates to DVLA plates. If you’re confused about any aspect of buying or transferring private registrations, make sure you ask a specialist for advice or go on the official DVLA website for more information.