01952 588888 Open 8am -10pm 7 days a week

01952 588888



Some of our most frequently asked questions are below. If you can't find what you are looking for, please feel free to contact us

Latest FAQs

What happens to my present registration number?     show

 If you want to keep your present registration you will have to pay the Department For Transport fee to retain it. If not the registration becomes void. You then remove the old registration plates, dispose of them and fit your new registration number when all documentation is complete from DVLA. We have found when you eventually remove your new registration from your car the old registration is, in most cases reissued to the car.


Why are some of the prices subject to VAT? show

Some private number plates are + vat because they are owned by a company/indivual who is VAT registered and has also purchase the plate through the company. If the registration is actually owned by Platehunter.com or is of Government Issue, VAT will on some occasions be added. Registrations that are not subject to VAT are usually being sold on behalf of a third party and are not owned by Platehunter.com

My car windows are etched. Does this affect the chance of being re-issued with the number presently showing on my vehicle, when I transfer my Private Number plate at some point in the future? show

You may request the old number to be re-assigned to your car only if the windows of the vehicle are etched with the mark and the DVLA may call your vehicle in to be inspected. They do this to verify your claim. There are no guarantees that the governing bodies shall re-issue the mark but in Platehunter’s experience it is highly likely.

What happens to my payment if I change my mind before the transfer has been completed and I no longer want the registration I have agreed to purchase from you? show

We expect all purchase agreements to be honored, just as you would expect platehunter to honor its terms of business. However, we do recognise that some situations may change. Platehunter will endeavor to advertise your Private Plate and sell the registration on your behalf after it has been transferred to your vehicle or payment has been made to Platehunter.com in full.

Can I pay using methods other than credit/debit card?show

We accept most major credit and debit cards (exept Amex), you will save the 2.5% +vat credit card processing fee if you use your bank debit card.
You can also  pay via Cheque, the easiest way is to use are online payment facility.



I paid a part payment by credit card and now I wish to pay the rest by credit card. Is this okay?show

Yes. You may pay the remainder of the outstanding purchase amount by credit card although we shall charge an additional fee depending on how much the transaction is. Debit cards such a Switch do not incur an additional handling charge.

What does DfT stand for? show

Department for Transport.

How can I find out about the status of my transfer?show

You can contact us at any time during office hours for a progress report.

Who provides the acrylic plates?show

We can provide you acrylic plates at a very competitive price.

How long does a transfer take?show

The average time is usually two to three weeks. Plate Hunter endeavors to ensure that every transfer is completed as quickly as possible. However you need to help us. Plate Hunter can not start the transfer process until we have received all your required documents. Plate Hunter Ltd makes every possible effort to take all reasonable care of your documents, however we cannot accept any responsibility for their safety once passed into the hands of the Department of Transport. However Plate Hunter has very rarely experience such problems.

What happens if I need to tax or MOT my vehicle while the transfer is being processed? show

This presents no problem to Plate Hunter, you simply send the appropriate fee with a V10 form  to us, ensuring that you state the old registration number on the application form. In the case of a new MOT, again you must ensure that the garage MOT the vehicle under the old mark and DVLA's system will update automatically once done.

Is it possible to transfer a mark to a vehicle with a "Q" mark?show

Under current law it is not possible to transfer Private number Plates to "Q plate" cars.

Do I have to keep the registration on my vehicle for a certain time before I can transfer it again?show

There are no time restrictions and transferring a mark is a simple procedure which may be applied for yourself. Please note you may not re-advertise you plate with PlateHunter.com until the transaction has been completed and full payment has been made.

If the recipient already has a mark can I transfer both at the same time? show

Yes. This is called a double transfer. It presents no problem for Plate Hunter but you shall need to immediately supply all the documents of the third vehicle involved and an extra £80 cheque payable to the Department of Transport. If no third vehicle is available then the mark can normally be retained on a Department of Transport retention certificate in accordance with the governing Regulations, the current fee has been reduced to  £80.

What if my vehicle has been scrapped?show

Scrapping occurs when a vehicle, whether an insurance write-off or not, is broken up for spares or otherwise destroyed. Once a vehicle ceases to exist its registration number is cancelled. If your vehicle has been scrapped, you will not be able to transfer its registration number. The person who actually breaks up or destroys the vehicle must notify the governing bodies that the vehicle has been scrapped and return the V5 registration document.

Are there any restrictions on my choice of number plate?show

You can't make your vehicle look newer than it is. For example you cannot put a Y registration number on a T registered vehicle but you could choose any prefix range from an A to a T. Each registration has an issue date which is what you must check to ensure you don't make your vehicle appear newer than it is.

What happens if I'm buying a personalised registration as a gift  or on behalf of someone else?show

If you are buying a DVLA personalised registration for, or on behalf of another person you will be recorded as the purchaser and the person for whom the registration has been bought for will be recorded as the nominee. The registration mark will then be able to be put on a vehicle registered in your name or that of the nominee. If you are buying a registration on behalf of a company we will record the company's name as the purchaser.

What happens once I have a bought a personalised number from PlateHunter?show

After you've made a purchase from Platehunter we will send you a Certificate of Entitlement (V750). Keep this safe, as this is the form you will need when you are ready to put your personalised registration mark onto your vehicle

Do I have to put the registration straight onto a vehicle? show

No. You have until the expiry date shown on your V750 to put the mark onto a vehicle. If you are still not ready to put your registration mark onto your vehicle before the expiry date printed on your certificate of entitlement, then you can extend the entitlement period for a further 10yrs, please call one of our agents to discuss fees for this. Your application must be made before the certificate expires but only within 28 days of the expiry date.

How do I add or change the nominee details on my certificate of Entitlement (V750)?show

Please call one of our advisors who will arrange this for you.

How do I change my address on my Certificate of Entitlement (V750)?show

This can be arranged online via DVLA as long as there are at least 5 days before the expiry of the certificate. Please note this will also change your online account address. Alternatively simply complete section 4 of the certificate of entitlement (V750) and return it to DVLA Personalised Registrations, Swansea, SA99 1DN. Please allow up to 15 days for the certificate to process.
View a sample V750 certificate

How do I extend my entitlement period?show

Please call us to arrange this for you.

If I decide to give up the right to the registration mark can i apply for a refund of the £80 assignment fee? show

Only if you bought the mark after 1 May 1993 and the mark has never been put onto a vehicle. You will also only be able to do this after the expiry date shown on your certificate of entitlement (V750) and up to six years after this date. To do this you should complete sections 5 & 6 on your certificate and return it to DVLA Personalised Registrations, Swansea, SA99 1DN. Once you have done this you will no longer be entitled to the registration mark.
How Do I check the validity of a certificate?
DVLA  now have an online facility to check this. You will need to have the registration number, and the certificate number to do this.
Check the validity of a V750 certificate
How can i put my registration on hold when I decide to sell my car?
You will need to complete a V317 - Application to transfer or retain a vehicle registration number. The cost to retain a registration number is £80.

I have seen my own registration number being offered for sale and do not recall giving authority, why is it listed?show

Platehunter provide details of the many available marks Nationwide. In addition to selling of our own stock items we also hold many public commissions and the stock and commissions of many other dealers throughout the UK. Occasionally, records are miss-typed and appear as an alternative combination that is in fact not for sale. Also there are circumstances where a recently acquired mark is still on our database due to the fact that the donor has failed to advise us of the sale and subsequent non-availability. If you have recently noted that your mark is listed and wish to provide us with further information or wish us to remove it from the web site, please send an email to info@platehunter.com not forgetting to specify the registration in question and the validation character off your V5 (log book) for confirmation.
What is a registration number and who has entitlement to it?
Registration numbers are not items of property in their own right. They are assigned, and may be withdrawn, by the Secretary of State as part of the basic registration and licensing process which is required by law. The registration number is a unique means of identifying a vehicle, primarily for taxation and law enforcement purposes. It is assigned to the vehicle, rather than its keeper, and unless it is transferred or retained the registration number normally remains with the vehicle until it is broken up, destroyed or sent permanently out of the country. An individual acquires entitlement to a registration number when he or she becomes the registered keeper of the vehicle which carries the number. When the vehicle changes hands, entitlement to its registration number will automatically pass with the vehicle to the new keeper unless use is made of the special facilities which have been designed to allow motorists to acquire and retain particular registration numbers. Namely, the Cherished Transfer, Retention and Sale of Marks schemes.

How do I get a specific number released if it has never been issued? show

In short there are no guarantees of getting any registration number issued that does not exist. Some marks are not issued because they are considered offensive, others just never made it to issue over the years. If you have a specific combination that you would like to acquire please complete this form and we will see what we can do for you - CONTACT US 

How can I safeguard my entitlement to a number?show

Entitlement to a number is effectively the right of the registered keeper of a vehicle to apply to have the number transferred to another vehicle (either his own or someone else's). The keeper is also entitled to apply to have the number of his vehicle put on retention, that is to say take the number off the vehicle and put it on hold pending re-assignment to another vehicle. It is important to note that the keeper may apply, but the application will only be granted if all the conditions relating to the retention and transfer facilities are satisfied. You can help to safeguard your entitlement, therefore, by ensuring that your vehicle is able to meet these conditions.

If you no longer have the vehicle which properly displays the number (ie it is in someone else's keepership or has been scrapped, broken up, destroyed or exported) then your entitlement to the number ceases.

What if my vehicle is stolen and not recovered?show

If your vehicle is stolen and has not been recovered after a year you can apply to have its registration number re-assigned to your replacement vehicle providing certain conditions are met. In order to qualify for the concession, the theft must have been notified to the police and recorded at DVLA as stolen for not less than 12 months. In addition, at the time of the theft the vehicle must have had a current test pass certificate and have had a current vehicle excise License (tax disc). The Agency will also require a letter from your insurers confirming that they have no objection to the number being re-issued. This must be provided because once insurers have settled your claim, they have a rightful claim to the vehicle should it be recovered.

To apply, or for further information, write quoting the registration number to Cherished Transfer Section, D13, Driver and Vehicle Licensing Centre, Swansea SA6 7JL.

If you no longer have the vehicle which properly displays the number (ie it is in someone else's keepership or has been scrapped, broken up, destroyedshow

If your vehicle is stolen and has not been recovered after a year you can apply to have its registration number re-assigned to your replacement vehicle providing certain conditions are met. In order to qualify for the concession, the theft must have been notified to the police and recorded at DVLA as stolen for not less than 12 months. In addition, at the time of the theft the vehicle must have had a current test pass certificate and have had a current vehicle excise License (tax disc). The Agency will also require a letter from your insurers confirming that they have no objection to the number being re-issued. This must be provided because once insurers have settled your claim, they have a rightful claim to the vehicle should it be recovered.

Are there any special rules for motorcycles / mopeds?show

No, all motorcycles (including mopeds) can participate freely provided the normal requirements of the number transfer facility are met.

What happens to my registration number if I export my vehicle? show

You are legally obliged to notify the governing bodies if you are taking your vehicle abroad for more than 12 months. More information on this can be found in leaflet V100

What you need to do to secure the registration number depends on the circumstances. For example, you may be selling the vehicle overseas. In this case, you must either transfer or retain the number before you part with the vehicle. Alternatively, you may be going abroad with the vehicle for a few years and intend to bring it back with you when you return. In this case transfer or retention before you leave is not essential, as most vehicles on return to this country from overseas are able to pick up their GB registration numbers, provided documentary evidence to link the vehicle and the number is available.

The best course of action is to get advice from Customer Enquiries at DVLA, well in advance of the planned date of export. You can write to Customer Enquiries (Vehicles) at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, Swansea SA99 1BL.

Please note: If you wish to transfer or retain your number you must do so before the vehicle leaves Great Britain - you cannot apply once the vehicle is out of the country.
I have an old vehicle which is not registered at DVLA. Can I register the vehicle and transfer or retain its registration number?
It is possible for the vehicle to be registered by the governing bodies. But you will not be able to transfer or retain its number.

What are the basic regulations surrounding transfers? show

The regulations regarding the transfer of registration marks from a donor vehicle to another (recipient) vehicle or to a retention certificate (V778) are : -
• The donor must either hold both current MOT and tax; be taxed and MOT expired; MOT expired and tax expired less than six months.
• A fee of £80 to the Department of Transport is payable for a vehicle to vehicle transfer and now it's also only costs £80  for placing the mark onto a retention certificate. The certificate is valid for ten years and can be renewed a month before it expires.
• A donor vehicle must be subject to MOT testing at some time during its life.
• Registration marks legally are owned by the Secretary of State for Transport - it is the right to display the mark on a vehicle which is granted or transferred. If you pass on a vehicle to a new keeper, then you lose control of the registration mark.
• You can't use a mark to make a vehicle look newer than it is e.g. you can't assign a P registration to an M registration car. You are allowed to use an older registration.
• You can't put a cherished number onto a Q registered vehicle.
• Registration marks which have never been used on vehicles before, are issued in the form of certificates of entitlement (V750). So if you find the registration you've always wanted, you can keep it on a certificate until you have a suitable car. Marks on certificates are ideal to give as surprise presents since the actual vehicle documents aren't needed until after the event, so you can give the certificate and a pair of plates, attractively wrapped.
• To assign a registration mark on a certificate to a vehicle, you need to post your registration document (V5) and V778/V750 Certificate to DVLA direct- usually in the telephone directory under "Transport, Dept. of". The assignment fee will already have been paid at the time of purchasing the mark, or placing it on retention, so there will be no more costs to pay.  Your V5 will be sent to DVLA, Swansea for the new registration to be put on and then returned direct to you. The V5 will not show another keeper.
• The legal time in any registration transfer to actually change your number plates is when you receive back the updated Log Book (V5) with the new registration.
• You can apply for tax at the same time as a transfer by sending us your insurance certificate or cover note, a completed V10 (This can be obtained from a post office and should, technically, be filled in with the existing registration mark) and the appropriate fee (cheques to the Department of Transport).
• You can apply to put the vehicle into your name at the same time as the transfer by filling in the appropriate part of the V5. If you only have the small green part of the V5 (V5/2) you can use this to do a cherished transfer accompanied by a completed V62 form.
• In general the documents needed for a cherished transfer are : - V5 & V317 (transfer form).
We request these by letter and then submit them to the DVLA (formerly the DVLC) on your behalf.
• When you take a cherished registration off your vehicle, you will be given back a registration mark suitable for the year of the car. Usually, nowadays, you will be given back the original mark. This simplifies DVLA records and, also, is better for drivers who have had their windows etched with the original reg. mark.
• A cherished number can be put onto a brand new vehicle. This involves either sending the appropriate entitlement certificate to the car dealer or by us requesting the application for first registration (V55) from the car dealer.

Do you own all the registrations you are selling?show

No, whilst we do have a large number of stock registrations, a lot of our registrations come from individuals who are looking to transfer the marks off their own vehicles, and we also offer a vast range of as yet unissued Government stock.

When do I get paid?show

There are different types of transfer and you will receive payment when appropriate evidence of the transfer completion becomes available:

If your registration is being transferred from your vehicle to the purchaser’s vehicle, transfer completion is officially recognised when the DVLA has concluded the re-registration of your vehicle. Platehunter will release funds to you when a photocopy or high quality scan of your vehicle’s replacement registration document (v5 or logbook) is received from you.

If your registration mark is held on a certificate, you will receive payment when the registration mark has been assigned to the purchaser’s vehicle and we receive evidence of this from the DVLA.

Where the purchaser does not wish to transfer the registration number to a vehicle but prefers to hold on a certificate, payment will be made when Platehunter has received the modified certificate of entitlement (v750) or, if transferred off your vehicle, the retention certificate (v778).

Please note: if applicable, you should not dispose of your vehicle until the transfer process is complete as the rights to the registration mark may be lost.

I've allowed my certificate of entitlement to expire, what do I do now? show

If the certificate has expired, it is very difficult to get it renewed. If the certificate is in your own name then you have to send it to the DVLA in Swansea along with a note giving a very good reason as to why it has expired. Late extensions are accepted in certain circumstances but each case is judged individually by DVLA. Their decission being final.

I've been told that the donor vehicle has been called in for an inspection. What does this mean?show

An inspection is where the DVLA check that the donor car is using the plates legally, by comparing the car chassis number with its log book. Whilst these checks do not happen very often they will slow down the transfer process by at least a week. This is primarily done for the safety of the person buying the plates. If it turns out that the car is stolen, then the DVLA can take the registration back, even after the transfer has been completed.

I've had plates made up, but have been informed that the transfer will not be going ahead. Will you compensate me?show

No. We do state in our paperwork that you should not have any plates made until AFTER you have received your V5 Log Book from DVLA with the new registration showing on it.

I cannot find the registration I want on your website. Can you find out who owns it?show

Not really. The only people who have access to that sort of information are the Police and the DVLA and neither of them will divulge it as it is covered by the Data Protection Act. The only hope you have got of finding the owner is if you spot the car on the road.

I know I can't put a registration on a car that's newer than the vehicle. What about Irish marks?show

Irish registration marks are effectively dateless. They can go onto a vehicle of any age, making them an attractive way of hiding the age of your car.

I've bought a registration from you, but it is still appearing on your website, what does this mean?show

Unfortunately it is unfeasible to update our website as soon as a plate is sold, so in a lot of cases plates appear on our site that have already gone. In these cases the plates are NOT available and will NOT be sold again. If you are really worried about this, please give us a call and we will manually update the record on our database.

I've sold a registration elsewhere that I advertised on your site, but it is still appearing as available. What do I do?show

Let us know as soon as possible if you sell your registration elsewhere, this saves everybody a lot of time and effort and stops us contacting you in connection with the registration via phone calls, emails and letters.

I am looking to sell my registration but don't know what it is worth, can you help?show

Simply complete our online, FREE, no obligation www.platehunter.com/valuations form and we'll tell you instantly how much we think your registration is worth. Please note that we will also put your details onto our database and keep a record of the mark to assist us in answering questions about it if registrations were ever issued. If you'd like your details removing from our system, please just tell us and we'll be happy to oblige.

You have sent me a quote for a plate, but I don't agree with your valuation, what do I do?show

Simply inform us via email or phone the new figure you want to achieve. Please remember that we have been in this business for a long time and we try to send out quotes that are realistic. Whilst a plate may be worth several thousand pounds to the right person, it is more likely to sell at a slightly lower price, as it will appeal to more people. Occasionally people feel that we quote too highly as they are after a fast sale, in these cases, feel free to change the amount by as much as you like.
If your valuation was issued online, just follow the instructions in the valuation email and you can tailor the quote to your liking.